The Airedale's Heritage
© 2017 ~ Hunting Working Airedales, Inc. • All rights reserved.
The Airedale came to America shortly after its development in England. In the first part of the 20th century, Americans' appreciation of the Airedale's hunting heritage was summarized in 1916 by Warren H. Miller (longtime editor of Field and Stream) in his classic book "The American Hunting Dog":
is the King
Website created & maintained by Andrea Shaw • firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the legacy.
Young and "old"
our fun events.
in the 1860's the Airedale Terrier was developed for the farmers in the Valley of Aire (Yorkshire, England) to be "the do-it-all hunter". The region's hearty people needed a dog with a keen hunting instinct and a weather-resistant coat; the character to tenaciously stick to any job; the courage and ability to kill all manner of game; the capability and desire to guard his family and home; and the gentleness and sensitivity to live as part of the family household.
"On the borderline between the bird dog and the fur dog stands the Airedale",
wrote Warren H. Miller, "...the dog that can hunt both ... and the one who can and is being successfully trained to hunt everything alive that can be hunted."
• For info ABOUT Hunting Working Airedales & more: click HERE
• LOCATING HUNT & FIELD TESTS (including useful outlinks): click HERE
• For HWA EVENT INFO, upcoming & recent events: click HERE
• To see/read about new HUNT TEST TITLE-HOLDERS (page 1): click HERE
• HOW TO GET STARTED with training your Airedale (FAQ's): click HERE
• To learn about TESTS & TITLE REGULATIONS: CLICK HERE
• To see/read about MORE HUNT TEST TITLE-HOLDERS (page 2): click HERE
• For BREEDER REFERRALS: click HERE
• To read about HWA'S 2016 FIELD NAT'LS: click HERE
• To see photos & more from HWA's 2015 Field Nationals: click HERE
• To CONTACT US DIRECTLY (via email): click HERE
• To JOIN HWA, click HERE for our 2017 MEMBERSHIP FORM
(A PDF document will open in a new window, which you can print & mail)
• To read about HWA'S 2014 FIELD NAT'LS: click HERE
• To view HWA's 2017 Fun in the Field PHOTOS: click HERE
• To read HWA's HUNTING WORKING REGULATIONS: CLICK HERE
• To read AKC HUNTING TESTS' REGULATIONS: CLICK HERE
• To VISIT OUR CONTACT INFO PAGE
(& learn who HWA's Officers & Directors are): click HERE
WHERE TO FIND STUFF ON OUR SITE
• To read about HWA'S 2013 FIELD NAT'LS: click HERE
are wonderful COMPANIONS:
A versatile breed
INNATE, HUNTING INSTINCTS
• To see PHOTOS from HWA's 2016 Field Nationals: click HERE
• To see/read about even MORE HUNT TEST TITLE-HOLDERS (page 3): click HERE
• To read MORE ABOUT AIREDALES: click HERE
At HWA's 2016 Bridget Bodine's Retriever Seminar "Hershey", owned/handled by
–proved to be a fast learner when to came to retrieving birds.
And Libby, owned and handled
by John Bell, started her water
retrieves with a splashy dog-paddling approach to swimming.
Even though our 2016 Nationals' weekend event was just shy of a year ago, click at right to read more about it.
Our 2017 32nd Annual HWA Filed Nationals are just around the corner. Stay tuned for more info!
• To read HWA's JUNE 2017 NEWSLETTER: click HERE